Video export length

Trying to capture an 18 minute video. Play back from Ableton is great. Stays in sync. When capturing with Syphon there’s always a lot of drift. Am I trying to record videos that are to long? Is there a recommendation for an external HDMI recorder?

Hi Stixnskin, what do you mean with ‘a lot of drift’? A and V go out of sync? I haven’t experienced that before, but I agree that recording with Syphon is not ideal. I am using an Atomos Ninja V HDMI recorder to record my audio and visuals. I wrote about that on the forum here:

Yes. The Audio and video get out of sync. The music is the same length but the video is longer. I’ve never done videos longer than 6-7 minutes. Haven’t had a problem. I’m guessing going to an external recording device might be in order. The session plays fine within Ableton. I was hoping to find a solution that didn’t cost $500-800. Guess you get what you pay for

I am not sure why the video and audio would get out of sync. You could also try regular screen recording (with QuickTime Player for example). I did that a lot in the past and the recording quality seems similar to Syphon recordings. If you use QuickTime Player to record be aware that on retina screens the recording resolution will be twice as big as your output window (so this will affect the recording frame rate and you’ll end up with big files!) and QTP hasn’t got an option to disable that. There are other screen recording programs that offer the option to turn retina off (I used iShowU Studio).
There might be cheaper HDMI recorders around that suit your situation better, but this Atomos Ninja works well in my situation.

Thank you for your help. Went with QT screen capture not the best but worked. Not sure why I had so many issues but at this point I’m happy I have something and moving on.

1 Like

I had this pb with others videos softwares, the problem was the audio sample rate in Ableton. It didn’t correspond with the sample rate in « Blender » for example. Maybe it’s the same problem??

1 Like

I had the same thought. Original session is 48k checked the video 96k! So I redid the video at 48k then converted to HAP. still had the issue. I’m beginning to think there’s a ghost in the session since I have completed some other videos, one being 10 minutes. Thank you for help.

1 Like

You’re welcome, same thing with 44100hz on both?

I never tried 44.1. Just proves it’s a long journey