Live Sampling - Staying in key?

Hey gang,

Having fun with the live sampling! Technique question for you:

I want to live record 4 different random samples, and have them immediately play back via a pre-created midi track IN KEY with one another. Any ideas how to go about that?

I was thinking I would need to record each sample, and run it through some ‘auto-tune’ style plugin to “flatten” it to C4, then they would all be in key with one another. I’ve done a few tests, but not having a ton of luck yet.

Anyone try anything like this yet? (Jeroen I’m looking in your direction! haha)

Thanks,

-Josh

I haven’t tried this and it isn’t free but…

https://payhip.com/b/hJjsI

Hi josh,
That is a good point. I used many workflows to try to tackle this issue. I used realtime pitch detection and pitch shifting, but that doesn’t work on all sounds and can make the sound too artificially sounding and adds latency. For performances where I sampled the audience, I often used to play the sound in a scratchy, glitchy way for 1, 2 or 4 bars, to give me some time to pitch it manually. This is an example:

When I sample myself I sometimes play a clear guide note in the bar before I record myself that I integrate in the bassline or some synth line, so I have a good reference of the C4 note. Simple but effective :smile:

We will add pitch detection to the eSampler in an upcoming update, but that will not work reliable in every scenario (especially live, with background noise and changing conditions), so it is good to have a simple fall back workflow like the ones I mentioned above,