How To Use a MIDI Track to Control Ebosuite Plugs on an Audio

How can I use Midi notes and CC values on a MIDI track to control Ebosuite plugs on an Audio Track in Arrangement View - so that MIDI can modify a long form video. In other words - have the same control over a video in Arrangement View audio track that can be achieved with a video in eSampler on a MIDI track.

Hi Patto,

With Live’s Expression Control plug-in you can map MIDI note data to any parameter in your Live Set. With MultiMap (download here) you can map CC data to any parameter in your set. But videos on an audio track are less flexible than videos in an eSampler on a MIDI track. The eSampler offers real-time pitching and time stretching (granular playback), looping, slicing, pre-roll, freeze and much more. The eSimpler is very flexible as well. What would you like to do with the videos on audio tracks?

ezgif-1-c35f410caf

ezgif-4-57c3660ae6

Thanks for your detailed response. I’m aware of Expression Control - but that isn’t really relevant. The issue is that you cannot send MIDI data to an audio track. I have used eSampler a lot in the past but this is a different challenge. I have already recorded a 4m audio track with 5 videos running the length of the song. The aim is to manipulate each of those videos using ebosuite plugs after the eArrangement plug. At the moment I am using track automation on the audio tracks to control plugins but it can be a clumsy way of doing tight syncing (and you can’t loop track automation) - so it would be good to use Note data (or Max sequencers) on a MIDI track to control some parameters.

Hi Patto, with Expression control you can send MIDI note data to any parameter in your Set and with MultiMap you can send clip automation to any parameter in your set. So you can use MIDI clips with notes and automation data to control the EboSuite plug-ins on the Audio Track. You can loop the data this way as well. Is this approach too limited in your case?

Thanks Jeroen - I’ll play with your method. For the just finished I project I ended up using mostly track automation envelopes - but it become a bit like herding cats in managing interaction between tracks - particularly with Blend modes etc. I had to display all the track automation lanes for 8+ tracks to debug the final mix - which took ages! I think I hit the complexity wall. I’m assuming MultiMap can map note pitch (not just CC values) to a parameter on another track? From a track management perspective - I think one of the best features of Ebosuite is the visual feedback that MIDI notes give you.

1 Like