File sizes and editing

So HAP seems to work best for my Live shows, but I’m confused about the the different formats “Q” “Alpha” “Res”, etc. I’m sending to a 1080p projector and some of these file sizes are enormous. Do they have to be? In addition, there doesn’t seem to be any way to edit the clips. For example, every clip that is recorded in Syphon has dead space at the beginning because I can’t start Syphon and hit Play on Live simultaneously. Seems cumbersome.

Also EVERY mp4 file I try to convert from inside eSampler fails. I have to do it in the batch converter.

Help a newbie out!

Hi Spoonbender,
Could you send us an mp4 that you are trying to convert inside the eSampler to contact@ebosuite.com? Let’s figure out why they fail.

Here you can read more about the Hap codecs:

I usually use Hap and not Hap Q. For videos with alpha I use Hap Alpha. If you own an M1/M2/M3 you better use ProRes 422 LT or ProRes 4444 (for alpha videos), because that codec has better performance on those machines and the file size is a bit smaller. I agree that Hap files are crazy big, but unfortunately there is nothing to do about that. I like to use SamSung T5 of T7 external ssd drives for projects and shows. For an okay price they offer a lot of disk space and decent playback. And if I use files a lot or or when they are critical I move them to my local ssd.

You can easily edit videos with EboSuite btw. Just load the video on an audio track with the eSession plug-in and set the start and end point and then enable ‘Crop to clip start/end’ on the eConvert plug-in and then select the clip and press ‘Convert Selected Clip’.

Screenshot 2023-12-09 at 23.19.11

You can also edit the videos with the File Region Editor in the eSampler.

Can I send you the mp4 a different way? It’s too big to email? 160meg

Here’s the conversion message I always get within esampler.

WeTransfer.com should work well to send large files. Could you try that?