Export quality and recommendations

hey guys wanted to know the way to get best output. im messing around with iphone 4k video that i convert to high quality hap alpha. i generally want to export 1920x1080 any recommendations

also is there a way to export audio and video do i need soundflower or something? thank you

Hi Tunnelsurf
EboSuite now only supports Hap codec. Other codecs will be added soon, but Hap will remain the best choice for quality and high performance, because Hap uses the GPU to decompress video. 1920x1080 should be a good resolution. I personally use 1280x720, 960x540 or 640x360 most of the time because that saves disk space and in a live performance these lower resolutions are often good enough, especially when you use short samples and combine different video tracks.
In the online manual you can read about how to record your audio/video, see http://www.ebostudio.info/EboSuite/EboSuite_manual.pdf. The section is called ā€˜Record the video outputā€™.
In short: use Syphon recorder in combination with the eSyphon plug-in on the master to record the video and use Ableton resample mode to record the audio and combine the two in Ableton using Abletonā€™s standard AV export.

thanks for the info will give that export a a go

hi jeroen,
iā€™m exporting with the e-syphon/syphon recorder method but even if iā€™m exporting hap q, 60fps, 1280x1280, the export results are always less ā€œfastā€ than the original video stream on the ebosuite screen.
in particular fast image movement, that are perfect in the live streaming on the ebosuite screen, looks more slow and less articulated on the video export via syphon recorder.
the last thing that i can try is to record ā€œuncompressedā€, but i havenā€™t enough free space on the hard drive, in this moment. any suggestion?
there is a different export method i can try?
i have also adobe premiere on my laptop.
thnx a lot

Hi Maxmagaldi, since recording with the eSyphon/Syphon recorder method captures the output in real time, the quality is dependant of your hardware and the capture settings. A fast CPU (for video compression) and harddisk (SSD) will lead to smoother recordings. Also, the dimensions of the recording will affect the smoothness. A large recording (e.g. 1920x1080) will result in a less smooth capture than a smaller recording (e.g. 960x540). Alternatively, Iā€™ve had good results capturing the screen with QuickTime Player 10, so you might try that as well (note that when you make a recording with QT10 on a retina display the size may be twice as big as what you might expect. Record on a non-retina screen or make the output window smaller to avoid this). I like iShowU Studio 2 as well, but that application is not free. We are planning on adding a render option to EboSuite in the future, then you can use that as an alternative to record your compositions (but not live performance sessions).

yeah, iā€™ve got it.
of course this are two diffrent things: live applications (in wich the syphon system is perfect) and something more ā€œstudioā€ oriented like what iā€™m doing right now (where a render option would be great).
i realized that ebostudio has enourmous possibilities even for editing, cause it push you in a "strange editing workflow"that brings you to completely other territoires than a normal video-editing software.
so, you say that for now is better to record smaller quality to get more movements?
the output will be uploaded on instagram and facebook, so maybe itā€™ll work.

I use QuickTime 10 a lot to record the output. On my system (iMac 3,8 GHz Intel Core i5, 16 GB RAM, Radeon Pro 580 8 GB, SSD) recording 1280x720 output works fine (descent frame rate, good for Instagram, Youtube, Facebook), even when I trigger multiple 1280x720 video samples simultaneously and use multiple eFX at the same time.

agree on this one too 1280x720 seems to work for me best. even when pushing tons of fx with shit everywhere :wink: @30fps

nothing, iā€™ve tryed with a lot of preference combination with syphon recorder and i canā€™t achieve the ā€œstreamā€ quality of my work.
i donā€™t know if itā€™s a system problem (mid 2014 mac book pro, 2,2ghz, 16gb ram, i7, Intel Iris Pro 1536 MB) or a ā€œcodecā€ problem.
when i run it on ableton+ebo studio is perfect.
after the syphon recording, when i play it on quicktime, all the ā€œfast partsā€ (all the bulge twist morphings that go with the music pulse) became slow.
i really donā€™t know how to solve the problem, because simply i canā€™t export itā€¦

Hi Maxmagaldi,
The most critical parts of your system to run and record EboSuite smoothly are the GPU, the CPU and the hard disk, since reading the video from the disk and unpacking the video files (on the GPU) and writing the video stream to the disk and compressing (on the CPU) are the most intensive processes. The Intel Iris Pro is an integrated graphics card, not a dedicated graphics card (GPU), so that is not optimal and that will affect your recordings. You could try recording with QuickTime player 10 (ā€˜New Sceen Recordingā€™, under File), since Syphon recorder creates an extra OpenGL texture and therefore is more demanding on your GPU than QT10. Be aware that QT10 recordings are much bigger when recording on a retina screen, so you might need to record a smaller output window, to get the size your aiming at in that case. I strongly recommend to use an SSD disk, because the system is reading and writing from disk while recording, so disk speed has a big impact on the quality of the recording. You could try using H264 videos in EboSuite instead of Hap videos, because they are much smaller (so easier to read from a non-SSD drive) and are not decompressed on the graphics card. Ofcourse turning of some eFX or video tracks in Ableton or choosing a smaller output window size will also lead to smoother recordings, but that probably has unwanted effects on your composition.

hi jeroen,
following your vautation and your suggestions iā€™ve bought a new laptop, with more cpu, one 4gb dedicated graphic etc, and the difference is huge, now i can export with quicktime with great quality, without the ā€œlosing framesā€ problem, so thank you a lot.
but i have a strange problem with one of my project (a problem that was present even with the old laptop, so it is not caused by the new one): in this project, with many channels and many effects, every channel is losing and finding quite continuously the ā€œconnectionā€ with the ebo suite app, so that there are several quick problem messages that appears (when the connection with the app is lost) and disappear (when the connection is found). messages are ā€œthe ebo suite app needs to be active for this device to work, load at list one eclips or esamplerā€.
any ideas on what will be the issue?

hereā€™s a short video of the thing (hope itā€™s visibleā€¦) iCloud

Hi Maxmagaldi, you have an interesting situation. We would like to have a look at that project to get an idea of itā€™s structure and complexity. Is it ok for you to send that project to us (to contact@ebosuite.com)? We dont need the media files.

of course.
so you need only the .als file?

sended, let me know, thnx!

Yes please, letā€™s first have a look at that. Do you use a lot of 3rd party plug-ins?

mmmno, quite nothing, ableton and ebo suite.
the only thing is a plug in that allows me to use the acoustic drumkit to send midi notes in ableton (sensory percussion, from sunhouse inc.)

The email I sent has been rejectedā€¦

contact@ebosuite.com should work. Can you try it again?

hello all just jumping back on this thread to see if there is a solution for 1 to 1 exporting? same quality in as out?

thank you!

Hi Richard, I use an HDMI recorder to record my audiovisual compositions. I really like that solution. I use an Atomos Ninja V and that works very easy and records 4K ProRes 60fps easily. I wrote more about my set-up and workflow here:

1 Like