EboSuite 2.2 (release date 2023-11-27)

I love this program, but the update / install - gives me a beachball / won’t install - hangs on an M1 Ultra Mac w / Sonoma 14.1.2

Installer worked on an older (2013 trashcan / intel) - but nothing here.

What can I do differently / better?

Excited to try some of the new stuff you’ve been working on.

Hi Millsy, sorry to hear that. Did you try the manual installation as well? That should work in any case. Let me know if you need help with that. You’ll find the manual installation files here:
https://www.ebosuite.com/install/EboSuite_manual_install.zip

1 Like

Thank you for your quick reply!

The original issue seems to have corrected itself - but - with the new install - am I correct to understand we lost the ability to input from a blackmagic studio recorder as a video input?

Alas - but I hope this is a glitch of some sort?

We didn’t make any changes to that part of the code, so the eVideoIn plug-in should work as before. Please let us know if you notice unexpected behaviour. We will check it out then.

When we release an update we list all relevant changes in the post (see the original post above), so if you miss a feature, you can check in the changelog what happened to that feature. We try to make each update backwards compatible. When an update is not backwards compatible we’ll try to update the eLiveSetTool, so you can convert your projects to the new standard.

Ok - It’s strange - I re-installed / updated all relevant updates.

I can see the video input via the blackmagic studio recorder software, but she’s still not showing up in the ebosuite window.

Any thoughts / suggestions?

I’m updating all my blackmagic s/w - and I see there’s another Sonoma update - but this is new / def critical part of workflow.

I’m glad to hear there’s no official issue there, and hope to figure out how to get this thing cracking again. Sure am impressed by how fast you reply (thank you). Here’s a screenshot of the e-video in window - where before it auto detected the blackmagic device - now…seems to have lost contact.

Screenshot 2023-12-14 at 4.06.55 PM

System reports sees the device…hmmm…why won’t the new ebosuite see it?

Hi Millsy, does it show up in QuickTime Player as a source as well? I might have to discuss this with the team on Monday, because I have not much experience with Blackmagic.

Hey - thanks for the follow up -

It shows up as an audio source in Quicktime, but - oddly - the ‘video’ (camera) - part - does not show up. (See screenshot).

NOTE. =. I was able to make full video and audio recordings in Quicktime (last month).

Screenshot 2023-12-15 at 10.08.34 AM

I went down the rabbit hole to see if I could figure this out - and found this *(likely unrelated) - youtube clip - about how apple changes the code from time to time - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nCivQie5tME - and how some devices can become ‘obsolete’.

While this is only speculation, I’m wondering if they’re using the same sort of approach w / (great) warez like Ebo?

Sure would love to get this working again - I was running 1 version of Ableton / Ebo on computer A - then recording the performance into computer B - (ebo / ableton) - and the flow / synch between the machines, is critical to workflow.

(Yes, there are workarounds like video recorders, and it does seem that the BlackMagic recording software works - on its proprietary program BlackMagic Media Express…but - again - it’s just ‘disappeared’ in Ebo).

Would hope to not have to go backwards and re-install OS / etc.

I’ll check back on Monday, and see if this info helps? Again - it was working great / easy / no problems - just last month…

1 Like

Not sure if this helps - but here’s a screenshot - of the Ultrastudio sending video (from computer A) to BlackMagic UltraStudio Recorder. (to computer B). -

(I turned this software off and restarted w / ableton / ebo). So - the hardware is ok / works - and it works (only) in the Blackmagic Software. (I did update the firmware / software for the BlackMagic / checked the security settings on the Mac Studio) - etc.

1 Like

Just found this article - which discusses a similar issue - (mostly in context w / zoom).

https://forum.blackmagicdesign.com/viewtopic.php?f=4&t=154992

• BM works w / its own software
  • Only comes up as audio (not video) device for apps like zoom / microsoft teams
  • Downgrading the *(zoom) sw update works for some folks

My ‘hunch’ - is that something happened in the code w / latest apple / ebo updates (only speculation tho). Curious to hear your team’s thoughts - hope this helps save some time?

Hi Millsy, I will check with the team on Monday, but it could be that Apple made changes in the OS that are conflicting with Blackmagic. Quicktime Player and EboSuite handle video sources in a similar way, so if QuickTime Player doesn’t recognise a source, EboSuite usually will not either and vice versa.

1 Like

Hi Millsy, are you trying to record the Blackmagic output with the eVideoIn or are you trying to just show it in EboSuite’s video mix? You could try VidVox’ Black Syphon application to send the Blackmagic signal over Syphon to EboSuite. Use the eVideoReceive plug-in to receive the Blackmagic signal and add it to your mix. If you’d like to record it with the eVideoIn plug-in, use Troikatronix’ Syphon Virtual Webcam application to create a source in the eVideoIn plug-in which receives the Blackmagic Syphon signal. Does that help?

Hey- thanks for the follow up - Busy time of year for many folks.

are you trying to record the Blackmagic output with the eVideoIn

Yes.

I’m running video out from Computer A - to Computer B - both machines running Ebo / Ableton.

I like to record live performance from Computer A - then add / layer up on Computer B - this helps for perform ace stuff - and for layering / texture stuff I’m having fun with.

I’ll tinker w / the Syphon route over the next few days and appreciate the tip. I’ll follow up w / results.

Saw the new Ableton video feat Ebo, and that made me happy and proud to see.

Great product.

or are you trying to just show it in EboSuite’s video mix?

I’m not sure I follow this- I’m sorta treating the other computer like it’s a camera - except it’s coming in via BM - I’ll try what you’ve suggested above, and come back over holidays / etc.

Thanks again.

Hi Millsy,
If you are sending EboSuite’s output from one computer to another you can also use NDI over network with the NDI Syphon application that you’ll find here: NDISyphon | VIDVOX Documentation
Just add an eVideoSend plug-in on the Master Track and use this application to receive this signal on the other computer. Use an eVideoReceive plug-in to receive the Syphon signal from the application an use it in your mix.

“or are you trying to just show it in EboSuite’s video mix?”, with this question I tried to understand if you needed to record the signal with the eVideoIn plugin or were using the eVideoIn plug-in to show the signal in the video mix only. In that case you can also use the eVideoRecieve plug-in (but not record with this plug-in).