Drumrack choke groups and timeline/arrangement feed

Hi!
I just wish that these three things could be possible in the next updates:

1. Choke groups in drum rack doesn’t work if you play with multiple esamplers on the pads. It would be awesome if this worked, at least for my workflow. (looping and reverse could be a nice feature too for the esampler!)

2. Having a feed from the arrangement view for each video track could be awesome too (proper video file, not midi). Even for editing purposes. Imagine that Live could do some video editing with layers modes (multiply, burn, …) and opacities like finalcut or premiere!?But with a mix of midi files and audio/video files. We could create the structure of a projection show in advance using the timeline and then put some effects and other layers live! I cand do some workarounds with midi clips but I could be great to put some videos on the timeline, directly.

3. If the point number 2 is possible, It would be awesome to export the edited timeline with a device like eComper or even “eRender”! hehe
    I don’t know if this is too crazy, but imagine grouping 10 tracks with your performance and then exporting it all in one only movie clip .mov or .mp4 to post it on youtube. Making a video edited with layers and automations and then exporting it, could be really AWESOME!

Thank you again for this experience! I am enjoying a lot more Live right now! Live 10 is just awesome, but with this… this is the cherry on top for me! IT’S CRAZY!

Carlos Abeijon

1 Like

Hi Carlos,

Thanks for sharing your experiences, kind words and ideas with us, much appreciated!

Choke groups in drum rack
That sounds odd, let me take a look at what is going on there, I’ll get back to you.

feed from the arrangement view
This one we would like as well, but it is a bit tricky since Ableton doesn’t give so much information about what is going on in the arrangement view. This can only be done with some workarounds that will always lead to confusing situations if you do not adhere to specific restrictions in your workflow. We will discuss this with Ableton as soon as we have the chance.

exporting arrangement timeline
This connects to the previous point, it is very interesting, but we will have to see what is possible and wise to do here.

Cheers

Timo

1 Like

I understand! Looking forward for the next updates! Thanks

HI Carlos,
I was just taking a look at what you describe about the choke groups.
But, for me they seem to work fine.

Can you explain to me more in detail the situation that leads to unexpected results?
Cheers

Timo

Hi!

I didn’t give you a complete explanation of the problem, sorry.

The choke groups work perfectly with audio but don’t work If you use eSamplers ( choke between each other) when you select “play until next note” function to get that One Shot style without always pressing the buttons. But choke groups don’t mute each other when I use esampler.

Here is a video I made showing you the problem:

Thanks!

Carlos
www.owae.ga

Thank you Carlos for the example video, I’ll take a look and report back.

and… I’ve found it:
there was a bug in the ‘play until next note’ functionality, I’ll send you the fixed version of eSampler to test via PM.

1 Like

Hi @Timo , I’m having the same issue, could I also get the fixed version? Thanks,

Oei, did we forget to add this fix to the next version of EboSuite? We’ll look into it and send you a fix.

Hi Ellie, the current version has this fix as well. I will explain below what was fixed and how it is intended to work at the moment:

What was wrong: The audio of a note that should have been stopped by another note was still audible
current (fixed) behaviour: The audio and video of a note with ‘Play until next note’ enabled will stop when a new note starts.

This is the intended behaviour, this however does not take into account choke groups yet (you could see it as 1 global choke group).

This still works like that in my quick test.
Can you describe the issue that you are experiencing more in detail?
Timo

Hi Timo, here’s a video of the issue happening.

Two things:

1. Choke: I trigger the first video “Get My Good” on pad 2 and then I trigger the TikTok video on pad 1. When I trigger the “Get My Good” pad 2 again, the video on pad 1 keeps playing
  2. Stutter: When I trigger pad 1, the video starts for 1 sec, then starts over again from the beginning. I noticed this happens as well in another drum rack. Hopefully there is a fix for this as well?

Thanks!

Hi Ellie,
Your first point might not be an issue: if the eSimpler is set to 1-Shot mode, then the video should continue to play. Is it not set to 1-Shot mode?
It is a bit difficult to understand what is happening with the second issue. Could you send us this Live project with the two videos to contact@ebosuite.com, so we can try it ourselves?
cheers

Hi Jeroen,

1. Yes I believe that IS the issue. I want 1-Shot mode and I want it be choked by the other pads i.e. I want to be able to hit a pad and let it play (1-shot) until I hit another pad. Aka choke. The previous posts in this thread seem to imply this should work? Lmk if you need further clarification.
  2. This was actually an issue with my video file. Nvm on this one!

Hi Ellie,
Let’s break down the situation:
This topic is about the eSampler’s legato mode (similar ‘one shot’) and how it interacts with choke groups.
The conclusion is that there is only one global choke group since Ableton does not give access to that parameter in the max for live API.

Your situation is different:
You use eSimpler+Simpler in a drum rack and the Simplers are in one shot mode.
In that case choke groups are fully supported since the eSimpler follows the Simpler.
You need to set up the choke group first, otherwise it will not choke. This can be done by clicking the I/O button of the drum rack and setting the choke value to the same group for the chains you want to choke eachother.

Full details can be found in the Ableton Live manual, section 20.6

Let me know how it goes!
Timo

Hi Timo,

Thanks for all your help. Unfortunately, I tried assigning the eSampler’s to the same choke group and am still getting the same issue. The audio keeps playing when I hit a new pad. Here is a video of that happening.

Hi Ellie,
In the previous video you used Simpler + eSimpler: this situation supports choke groups (since the eSimpler follows the Simpler).
In your current video you use eSamplers: In that case choke groups are not supported (we do not have the info from Ableton to that). But if you use the legato option you have one global choke group.
I hope this helps.
Timo

Hmmm ok, is there anyway to make the eSimpler + Simpler 1 shot? I don’t see an option for 1 shot of the video in eSimpler? As of now, it seems you can only make the Ableton simpler audio play 1-shot but not the eSimpler video? Basically my goal is to be able to play one shot video samples (with audio) that are cut off when you play a new video on that track.

eSimpler + Simpler will be 1 shot when the Simpler is set to one shot.
The eSimpler follows the mode of the Simpler.
What you want is achievable with this combination and setting.