Cropping start and end points

with the size of HAP files it looks like only using exactly what you need is super important. at the moment my process is:

1. trim video in quicktime to make it close to what i need
  2. convert to HAP file then refine start and end points in the eclip. trigger the video - launch mode is gate, quantisation - none. this helps to ensure the start point is dead on.
    3.reconvert to HAP with econvert to lose all the stuff i dont need

is this the most efficient way? do i lose quality by encoding twice?

Hi Clay, I use the same process, except for step 3.
After editing the start and end point in Session view you can drag it directly into the eSampler (you can edit start and end point in Arrangement view as well, when the Hap codec is installed on your system, when editing in Session View Hap doesn’t have to be installed). The eSampler will only load the part that is selected, so the part between start and end point. See the manual, page 14, 15 and 16.
Use the eSampler’s File Region Editor to alter your selection at any time (make is smaller or bigger!). See the manual, page 20 and 21.
So I convert only once, but I think you don’t lose much quality when encoding twice, so you can do that if you want to.

cool. yes im doing the same thing for esampler but i was mainly talking about just eclips and making them as small as possible. sorry i should have been more specific. I am spending a lot of time reading the manual :):grin:

and having heaps of fun with this.

1 Like

Top :grinning:

I sent you the Ableton project with the synced acapella a few days ago. I just received a mail, warning me that you didnt download it yet and that it will be deleted in two days. Did you miss that mail?

yeah man i got that and downloaded it. i thought i replied in the thread and said thanks. ive been using it as a guide to do my other acappella edits.

Is it possible to trim video in ableton using ebosuite or do I need to use external video editing software?

Hi, there are a few ways to trim the video:

Non-Destructive:

• set the Start and End markers of the clip and then drag this clip in the eSampler. The eSampler will load the erea between the Start and End (the region) only.
  • use the File Region Editor of the eSampler to shorten (or extend) the length of the region.
    Tutorial about the File Region Editor: File Region Editor (eSampler) on Vimeo

Destructive:

• set the Start and End markers of the clip and then drag this clip into the eConvert plug-in, with the option Crop to Clip Start/End enabled. This will create a new Hap video of the erea between Start and End.
  • use the File Region Editor of the eSampler to shorten (or extend) the length of the region and then press ‘Convert to Hap’ (only available when a non-Hap video is loaded), this will create a new Hap video of just the region.
    Tutorial about the File Region Editor: File Region Editor (eSampler) on Vimeo

Thanks, that makes sense. I made a new project and converted a set of clips and they convert as expected. I will try out these methods, see what works best, workflow wise. I’ll pop by the studio one of these day’s for sure, nice to catch up on some AV stuff!:video_camera: cheers!

1 Like